Saturday Open Thread

June 28, 2008

From the Awesome Gifts department:

Not only does it play vinyl, it copies records directly to CD.   Definitely the coolest thing I’ve been given in a very long time and I will be spending my afternoon bonding with it!

No Comments

Category: Discussion, Open Thread

No Comment

1. thechasethielbarNo Gravatar says:

Yeah we have one of those, from about 3 years ago. They are cool you get to play your record, cd, and listen to radio. And I love the old fashioned look it has to it.

2. LynnNo Gravatar says:

Where do you get one?

3. KevinNo Gravatar says:

Believe it or not: Target.

4. Paul W DennisNo Gravatar says:

I have one – the tonearm/stylus assembly is fairly primitive and low tech. I use it to dub records that are in rough shape (or for 45s) where I don’t want to damage my more expensive stylus. For everything else I use my more audiophile equipment

5. thechasethielbarNo Gravatar says:

^Lol I think that’s where we got ours, we actually have two. I thought lots of people had them already. They are great to have if you have many records and cd’s.

6. Paul W DennisNo Gravatar says:

The picture looks like a Crosley but it also looks similar to a TEAC and several other manufacturers – my comments concern the TEAC (which I currently am using) but likely apply to the other manufacturers as well

Remember – obtain a supply of replacement needles – this particular stylus is good for about 100 hours of playing time (the mfg says 50 hours but you can safely double that if your albums are clean and in good shape) . The Crosley (which a frien of mine has) and my TEAC both make good quality CDs

Because LPS and cassettes were recorded at lower volume than CDs, you might want to use a free program called Audiograbber for volume enhancement – it necessitates taking the CD you made off the contraption above and running it through your PC to make an enhanced copy, but given the cost of blank CDs it’s worth the cost

7. Miss KittyNo Gravatar says:

Neat! What a cool “toy” to have. The Hank Williams Museum in Montgomery, Alabama, has something similar on which Hank’s music is played all day long; not sure if it’s the same thing, but it sure looks similar.

8. LynnNo Gravatar says:

Gotta love Target! Thanks.

9. Dan M.No Gravatar says:

“Copies records directly to CD” = I am salivating.