I went on a long road trip this summer up the west coast of the United States. To keep me company, I threw in a few books on disc, and a bunch of random CDs. About a day or so into the trip I realized that I had an interesting theme going—songs involving “mama.”
The following songs showed up on my playlist more than once:
- Don’t Tell Mama, Gary Allan, Smoke Rings in the Dark
- Mammas, Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys, Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings, Waylon and Willie
- Mama, I’m Alright, Miranda Lambert, Kerosene
- Mama Tried, Merle Haggard, Mama Tried
- Papa Loved Mama, Garth Brooks, Ropin’ the Wind
Country music has never shied away from writing about the folks. Do you have any favorite songs about “mama” and/or “papa” to add to my list?