Discussion: Recommend a Track – Christmas Edition

December 19, 2008

I wrote last week about my affection for sad Christmas songs.   The only upbeat Christmas songs I usually like are the spiritual ones.   But good Lord, do I love this piece of fluff from Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton:

“With Bells On” is one of the only country Christmas songs that won’t make me change the radio station.   You can find it on Kenny & Dolly’s album Once Upon a Christmas.

What Christmas track do you recommend tonight?

Category: Artist of the Month: Dolly Parton, Christmas, Discussion, Recommend a Track
Tags: ,

1. RainbowNo Gravatar says:

LeAnn Rimes’ version of “White Christmas” surpasses all other versions. That would be my recommendation tonight.

Alison Krauss’ innuendo-packed, Santa-seducing number, “Shimmy Down the Chimney (Fill Up My Stocking).” I don’t know that I would love it so much if it weren’t so completely out-of-character for an Alison Krauss recording:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1nG1TZkauc

3. Steve from BostonNo Gravatar says:

“Christmas Time’s a Comin’ ” and “Santa Train” by Patty Loveless…actually her whole
    “Bluegrass and White Snow” Mountain Christmas album.

The carols, as well as the Bluegrass Chrismas songs are all brilliantly done, with an elite cast of supporting singers; wonderful harmonies from Dolly Parton, Vince Gill and Amy Grant, Emmylou Harris, Trisha Yearwood, Rebecca Lynn Howard, and Claire Lynch, among others.

The whole album is infused with warmth and hospitality, tasteful acoustic instrumentation and soaring harmonies…

Patty and friends bring a down to earth intimacy while at the same time singing to the Heavens!

I guess my favorites among the Carols would be “The First Noel” and “Silver Bells” with Vince and Amy…on these two Carols especially, Patty’s lead vocals ring like a crystal bell!

4. JessicaNo Gravatar says:

what child is this and o holy nigh from carrie underwood, i like the new christmas single of lady A and white christmas from le ann rimes

5. Greg MNo Gravatar says:

Well I’ve been talking about them a lot this year and might as well include some of their christmas stuff:

Deck the Halls – SheDaisy
    Brand New Year – SheDaisy

They are just fun christmas songs and gets me in the mood this time of year.

6. JaneNo Gravatar says:

Have to second Greg there, “Deck the Halls” by SHeDAISY is really good. I’ve also been loving “Baby It’s Cold Outside”, By Martina McBride and Dean Martin.

7. SamBNo Gravatar says:

Several of the ones I’d have mentioned are already here, but I’d add In the Bleak Midwinter and Coventry Carol from Gretchen Peters’ new Christmas album

Carrie’s “Do you Hear What I Hear”

I’ve already mentioned this track several times on this and other blogs, but Reba’s ‘Up On The Housetop’ is an amazing Christmas recording … I love it.

Listen to it here

10. AaronNo Gravatar says:

I love Carrie’s version of “Do You Hear What I Hear.” Also, SheDaisy’s “Deck the Halls” is probably my favorite christmas song. Whenver Christmas comes around I make sure that’s the first song I listen to! I’m also lovin’ Julianne Hough’s version of “Santa Baby.” I think it’s miles above Kellie Pickler’s version.

Also, I know she isn’t country, but Kelly Clarkson’s version of “O Holy Night” is probably the best version I’ve heard of that song! It’s amazing!

11. ZachNo Gravatar says:

“The First Noel” by Ms. Underwood

12. CoryNo Gravatar says:

I always like “All I Want For X-mas is you” by Vince Vance and the Valliants hahaha.

But a favorite of mine has always been
    “Take a Walk Through Bethlehem” by the one and only Ms. Yearwood.

13. JohnNo Gravatar says:

I am loving the Mary Chapin Carpenter Christmas CD this year. My recommendation is “On A Quiet Christmas Morn”.

14. Jim ONo Gravatar says:

I came across the version of “Tennessee Christmas” by Point of Grace recently.
    Listen Here

I am not so familiar with other versions of this song but I should think this one stands up well.

“Last Christmas” by Wham! was a favourite of mine many years ago in the UK.. I was delighted with Taylor Swift’s version of this.

15. KentNo Gravatar says:

The Higgins – The First Noel
    Tara Oram w/ Jaydee Bixby and The Higgins – Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

16. JoyceNo Gravatar says:

My two favorites are quite different from each other.

“Mary Did You Know” by Kathy Mattea and “Christmas Cookies” by George Strait.

17. Ralph SuarezNo Gravatar says:

I think Dolly’s version of WE THREE KINGS is incredibly unique (definitely not the same old, same old) and one of my favorite contemporary Christmas recordings. I also “discovered” Roy Rogers version of Jingle Bells and just fell “head over heels” for his version. It is a charming song.

I’m not huge on the Point of Grace version of “Tennessee Christmas”, but I really like the song. I’d like to hear an updated version from the ones that Amy Grant or Alabama recorded though. Both of those versions are too eighties for my taste nowadays.