Recommend A Track

January 4, 2009

Being someone who really doesn’t appreciate instrumental albums as much as I probably should, Brad Paisley’s latest instrumental project really hasn’t left a deep impression on me. I don’t hate it, but I don’t especially like it either.

There are, however, a couple of outstanding songs on the album (which uncoincidentally happen to include vocals), in particular, his posthumous duet with Buck Owens. Before his death, Owens wrote “Come On In”, recorded vocals and laid down mandolin and dobro tracks for a demo. Brad Paisley, a friend and scholar of Owens, adds his vocals and expert guitar work to form this lively duet.

While Owens’ voice may be a little deeper and more worn than we’re generally accustomed too, it’s still strong and vibrant here. Moreover, I’m pleased that Paisley has uncovered this gem from the late Buck Owens for us to enjoy.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNaxHdU4Vls

What’s your recommendation this week?

Category: Discussion
Tags: ,

1. Matt B.No Gravatar says:

I read where Carrie Underwood’s version of “I Told You So” will be a single. so I will say that one. I’m really surprised that it’s a single…

2. CoryNo Gravatar says:

I thought I would go back about 7 years and recommend one of Trisha Yearwood’s finest singles that was harshly ignored by country radio, as those with quality usually are.
    I Dont Paint Myself Into Corners Anymore

3. CoryNo Gravatar says:

^^Check out the newly added perfomance of the song on youtube!

I can’t belive they’re going to release ‘I Told You So’ as a single. Ugh.

And tonight I recommend another Trisha Yearwood single – this one went all the way #1 – ‘Thinkin’ About You’.

5. StephenNo Gravatar says:

JR, you aren’t fond of Carrie’s interpretation? (I’m going to assume it’s that and not the song since everyone many country fans are criticizing Carrie’s interpretation of it.)

6. StephenNo Gravatar says:

Oh, and I recommend it as well. She sings the song beautifully and she seems to really understand the song’s significance.

7. CoryNo Gravatar says:

I just got done listening to Thinkin Bout You J.R excellent choice!

8. Greg MNo Gravatar says:

I was going through some of these sites and spinoff sites (Like the one with just numbers) and found a free download of Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson’s “Rattlin’ Bones.” Suffice it to say, I’ve been listening to this song a lot today. It’s a terrific song.

9. Matt B.No Gravatar says:

Here’s another good song to check out “Looking For The Child” by Marcus Hummon. He’s the songwriter who wrote many big hits (and won a Grammy for writing “Bless The Broken Road”) but often has great songs on his own.

10. bobbyNo Gravatar says:

I’m going with “Nearest Distant Shore” by Trisha Yearwood. It’s beautifully written and even more beautifully sung.

11. Steve from BostonNo Gravatar says:

Leeann, I think you and I are both big Brad Paisley fans, but we sure do have differences on Play!

I would actually recommend ALL the instumental tracks on the album, (except for the one he wrote for his wife Kim, which I find boring.) But the Buck Owens song is special, no doubt.

As for the vocal tracks, the one with BB King is actually my favorite, then Brad’s duet with Keith Urban, then the Buck Owens song.

Don’t care for the album version of Waitin’ On a Woman as much as the single or video. Too much Andy Griffith talking all through it! (I’m a huge fan of his though). In the video, they speak only in interludes, if I recall correctly..I think it works better that way.

I’m not wild about the King track, actually. I really like the one with Steve Wariner though. I’ve really liked Brad, but I want a better album than Fifth Gear (didn’t really like any single from that album) or Play next time. I’m tired of being underwhelmed by his music. Time Well Wasted is the album that converted me to him, but I don’t feel that his subsequent work has lived up to that project.

13. lanibugNo Gravatar says:

Gone by Ashley Monroe, from her album with Trent Daubs – just shows how amazing her voice is –

14. Steve from BostonNo Gravatar says:

I’m sorry Brad’s been dissapointing you Leeann. I hope his next album is one you will enjoy as much as “Time Well Wasted”, which I agree, may be his best. I thought “Mud on the Tires” was a great Country song, though I have mixed feelings about the goofiness of the video.

15. Chris N.No Gravatar says:

Thom Schuyler, “Who Needs a Hummer?”

Chorus:
    Who needs a Hummer?
    What kind of arrogant guy?
    You’re way too rich, you little son of a bitch
    Who needs a Hummer and why?

16. KentNo Gravatar says:

I haven’t listened to Carrie Underwood’s “I Told You So” much, which would have to do with the weak first impression it left on me. Perhaps if it is released as a single, it can shed this impression. Perhaps not.

I will recommend “Please Be Mine” by the Jonas Brothers (probably to deaf ears). The song is acoustic, which helps to draw out the emotion in it. The Jonas Brothers provide some great harmonies to the song. But the most prominent part for me is the bridge:

“I can’t stop the rain from falling
    I can’t stop my heart from calling you”

While these these lyrics are simple, they can remind you that when you love someone, trying to get them out of your mind is as productive as trying to stop the rain from falling: it ain’t gonna happen.

I’ve never been a big fan of “I Told You So” as a song. I’ve always found the melody to be pretty bland. I have to say that while I don’t like the song much, I like Carrie’s version okay, better than Randy’s. Blasphemous, I know!

I might be wrong, but I’m doubting that there are lot of Jonas Brothers fans here at Country Universe.:)

18. CarsonNo Gravatar says:

Danielle Peck’s new digital album was released and is called “Can’t Behave”, the title track is a cover of Courtney Jaye’s song: “Can’t Behave” and has very well written lyrics, in my opinion, and is very lovable and likable song. Danielle’s voice hugs the song (that made sense in my head), and I would reccomend it to any contemporary country fan, anyone who loved “Bad For Me” (Danielle’s most successful single) or any fan who favors the traditional sound, as Danielle has a very traditional, yet not too twangy voice.

And if we’re talking about the Jo Bros, might as well give you something sweet to listen to after you’re bleeding ears (sorry man), Zooey Deschanel (an actress) and M. Ward (a musician) collaborated on a lbum called “Volume One” as a band called She and Him. Their first single “Why Do You Let Me Stay Here” is so enjoyable and catchy, they’ve got this melody and Zooey has this type of voice that any music genre fan can love.

19. CoryNo Gravatar says:

How about we got back to the song that was #1 on the charts on this date back in 1989, 20 years ago
    K.T. Oslin “Hold Me” what a classic!

Now, there’s an excellent choice, Cory. From a largely forgotten artist who is simply magnificent.

Sorry for the double post, but I have to say how much I LOVE the spoken intro to the K.T. Oslin song song Cory mentioned.

22. CoryNo Gravatar says:

I could say so much about “Hold Me” finally a singer pointed out the harsh reality that married couples often are considered just that,couples but rarely lovers. And this classic tale of rekindling a lost romance is just amazing, i cant say enough!!!
    Oslin is my favorite songwriter of all time, regardless of her limited catalog. And that broadway training of her’s translated beautifully into her country craft!