Before It’s Too Late

April 16, 2009

willieIn May of 2004, Bill and I were excited about the prospect of seeing Willie Nelson in our small town, in Maine, of about 13,000 people. We knew it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to see such an icon without even having to travel ten minutes to reach the venue. Furthermore, he was on both of our lists of people to see before we died.

Sadly, we did not get to see Willie after all. On the same week he was supposed to visit our small town, he had to get carpal tunnel surgery. We had the option of either getting a refund or using our tickets for the rescheduled show in September. Once again, our luck was bad, because we were moving to Michigan the month before Willie’s make up date.

If you can’t tell, I still haven’t completely recovered from that disappointment.

We, alas, haven’t given up our dream of seeing Willie in concert someday. However, we are fully aware that time may be running out, since Willie’s, frankly, not getting any younger.

We’ve already missed our chance to see Johnny Cash in concert, so we hope Willie will work out before it’s too late.

What artist do you have to see in concert before it’s too late?

Category: Discussion, Uncategorized
Tags: ,

1. JosephNo Gravatar says:

I know she’s not that old, but if I could only go to one country concert, it would probably have to be Trisha Yearwood

2. Steve from BostonNo Gravatar says:

Sorry you missed Willie, Leeann…hopefully you’ll get another chance soon.

I was afraid I’d never get a chance to see Patty Loveless in concert, but to my delight she released Sleepless Nights and started touring again, and I finally got my chance last October, in Morristown NJ. For many reasons, it was the best concert I have ever attended.

And if you and William are interested, Patty will be performing once again in your homestate this Summer…July 3rd, in Brownfield, and July 4th, in Freeport, which is a free concert. (LL Bean Summer concert series)…

I cannot think of anyone else I HAVE to see (I’ve seen so many Country and Rock artists already), just Patty again. ;)

3. Steve from BostonNo Gravatar says:

Oh, I just want to add…I’ve never seen Patty do her Bluegrass stuff.. For some reason, she has not been doing her Mountain Soul set in concert this time around, and that is something I really really hope to experience before it’s too late.

4. Steve from BostonNo Gravatar says:

And Joseph, I finally got to see Trisha last year, and she was amazing…

She has slowed down a bit with her touring schedule, but is still active…she says she does about 40 or so dates per year now, so hopefully you’ll get your chance soon.

5. AnnieNo Gravatar says:

Willie’s on my list too, Leeann. I really need to see Merle Haggard as well. I’ve missed several opportunities over the years to see many of my favorite artists – and now it is too late – they’re gone. I’m trying to be more vigilant about seeing the artists I’ve grown up listening to – none of us are getting any younger, and when I hear about the health issues some of these legendary artists are having, I know I have to make the effort to see them while I still can. It’s depressing to realize that so many of them are gone now.

6. CMWNo Gravatar says:

Willie Nelson and George Jones.

Lots of other artists I’d like to see, but those two are the most urgent considering their ages.

7. SeanNo Gravatar says:

Dolly Parton, Martina McBride and Trisha Yearwood. I should also add Lee Ann Womack. Even though I have seen Reba twice, I still wanna see her a million more times! There are so many artists I actually wanna see, but these are my top ones.

8. highwayman3No Gravatar says:

I want to see George Strait.

9. pselbyNo Gravatar says:

George Jones – can’t believe I’ve never seen him! Willie is great; I think I have his set list basically memorized. I saw Merle in Little Rock a couple of years ago OPENING FOR THE ROLLING STONES!!! He was great. I’d like to see a lot of the Opry stars, too — I’ll have a chance to see Jan Howard in a couple of weeks and I’m looking forward to it. And Willie will be back in Little Rock in a couple of weeks at a festival and I’ll get to see him again, although I’m torn, because he is on at the same time as the B-52′s, and I’ve never seen them.

Ditto CM’s choices, plus Dolly and Garth. Willie is my #1. I just got to see Loretta do three songs at the Opry (on the cheap, too!), and I’d still love to see her do a full concert, especially if she plays any Van Lear Rose stuff.

11. AndieNo Gravatar says:

shania twain and trisha yearwood

12. AaronNo Gravatar says:

I was so disappointed a fews year ago when I had to miss Shania Twain in concert because I had to have an emergency tonsilitis (totally butchered the spelling) so I had to give my tickets to my brother and his girlfriend…gr! I also need to see Reba in concert…I’ve heard her shows are amazing! I also wanted to see Tim and Faith’s Soul2Soul tours…they came to Arizona three times (once on their first tour, and twice on the second one) and somehow I wasn’t able to go! My brother went and he kept saying how awesome it was, I wasn’t too happy! haha

I’ve been fortunate enough to see plenty of the older artists like Dolly, George Jones, George Strait, Charley Pride, and Loretta Lynn. If you have the chance to see any of those people in concert…do it!

13. Paul DennisNo Gravatar says:

The one I missed seeing was Ernest Tubb – I had one chance and work kept me from seeing him -he was off the raod within a year

I’d like to see George Strait

Anybody else I just had to see, I’ve seen

There are so many, but the list includes one that I’m going to see in September..George Jones. I guess the one i most regret never seeing is Conway Twitty, who I had a chance to see in high school, but something came up (the show was in 1990).

15. Kevin J. CoyneNo Gravatar says:

Emmylou Harris is the only big one left on my list.

16. Matt MNo Gravatar says:

Willie’s playing at the Downtown (Detroit) Hoedown in a few weeks. Maybe you could see him there if you live nearby?

17. [...] What artists do you hope to see in concert before it’s too late? [...]

Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks.

Loretta Lynn and Willie Nelson for the elder statesmen category.

Thanks, Matt, but I’ve since moved back to Maine.

20. FifeNo Gravatar says:

Merle Haggard!

21. DrewNo Gravatar says:

Have to agree with George Jones, that’d be killer. I think I’d love Dolly too.

22. LynnNo Gravatar says:

Leeann, your post had me checking into Willie concerts. Lo and behold, he’s touring with John Mellencamp and Bob Dylan this summer. What a combo! I’ve already seen Mellencamp but Bob Dylan was also on my must-see list, so I’m going to try to make it happen. I hope my grandparents are up for a visit!