James Otto, "Since You Brought It Up"

May 11, 2009

james-ottoDespite a good album in 2008, James Otto’s only hit to date has been his smash single, “Just Got Started Lovin’ You.” It’s strong, sultry vibe, provided by both Otto’s soulful vocal delivery and an addictive baseline hook, easily got into people’s heads and pushed the song to the top. Since no other songs from the album received such support, it’s no wonder that Otto has reverted to releasing another song to try to capture those same elements.

“Since You Brought It Up” is basically a cutesy back and forth, via the telephone, between a man and woman who want to get together, but d

on’t quite have the courage to be straightforward about it. Instead, “since you brought it up” is used as the not so sly pick up line with “Since you brought it up, why don’t you bring it over?”

“Since You Brought It Up” employs many of the same features of “Just Got Started Lovin’ You”, but does not quite match its strength. Otto’s vocal is strong and as soulful as ever, but it, somehow, manages to lack some of the life and character of its predecessor. Likewise, nothing about the production is especially memorable or interesting. Ultimately, Otto gave it a good try, but it’s hard to recreate past success with an inferior duplication.

Grade: B-

Listen: “Since you Brought It Up”

zp8497586rq

Category: Single Reviews
Tags:

1. Matt BNo Gravatar says:

Y’know,

I don’t think he was trying to replicate that song itself but rather the groove from it.

2. nancyNo Gravatar says:

I totally disagree with you. I can’t wait until the new album is release. And “Since you brought it up”, I think this will be just as big a hit for James.

3. Tara SeetharamNo Gravatar says:

On first listen, I really like this song. I thoroughly enjoyed his first album and am interested to hear the next one. Love that soul!

I don’t hate it, I just think it’s much weaker than “Just Got Started Lovin’ You”, after which I still think this song is patterned.

5. Matt BNo Gravatar says:

Tara,

“Sunset Man” was James 2nd album. “Days of our Lives” was his first.

6. Tara SeetharamNo Gravatar says:

Wow. In my mind, “Sunset Man” was his debut. But now I do faintly remember him talking about being dropped from his label years ago. I’ll check out “Days of our Lives”…

7. AnnNo Gravatar says:

I first heard James sing this song live in concert. It was great! I loved it then and still love it! Can’t wait for the new CD to be released.

8. ConnieNo Gravatar says:

I really like “Since You Brought it Up” I think that it has a catchy melody and is a song that even the Older Country folk will love. Some of us older country folk think that some of this new stuff just isn’t country!!

9. James Otto Sweet HeartNo Gravatar says:

James Otto is the top of this girl’s country music mountain and once you have been to the top, why settle for what is going on down in the flood plain?

I love James SO much!!! (big smile)

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly in East Tennessee

10. AleenaNo Gravatar says:

I think that this is an awesome song and I can’t wait to get it on CD!

11. DonnaNo Gravatar says:

I love this song! I cannot wait until it is released.

12. RIichard smithNo Gravatar says:

i think james otto has one of the best voices in music not just country. drove from ky to Indy to see him play at 8 second saloon for ten bucks great guy .loves his fans very talented singer .love since you brought it up.

13. DavidNo Gravatar says:

I’m a fan. James Otto has the voice and he makes good music. And he looks good on stage.

14. HomeTiviNo Gravatar says:

15. I am an Otto fan and can sing along to all his music or just listen to it for my listening pleasure. They all right that “since you brought it up” is a well written, smooth and fluid and it presents an aura of experience and true feeling that only James Otto can present in a song like this. I super agree with it. Oh, Otto hope to see you in person and that will surely my most unforgettable moment in life. If you like James Otto I highly recommend his FIRST album “Days of Our Lives”. Personally while I like his second album “Sunset Man”.