Armchair A&R

January 24, 2010

Gilbert O’Sullivan spent six weeks at #1 in 1972 with “Alone Again (Naturally)”, a song that is so sad it should’ve been a country song a long time ago:

There’s only one artist that could improve on this, and that’s Alison Krauss.  She’d be a perfect fit for a song that starts with a man being stood up at his own wedding, ends with him mourning both of his parents, and finds him doubting God’s mercy, God’s very existence.

I’m sure we’ve discussed this before, but it’s been a while:

What classic pop song would you like to hear covered by a country artist?

Category: Conversations
Tags:

1. Cutting the TreacleNo Gravatar says:

I’d love to see Wynonna cover “One” or “Mysterious Ways” by U2.

2. Brian B.No Gravatar says:

I have ALWAYS wished Brooks and Dunn would record Danny O’Keefe’s “Good Time Charley’s Got The Blues”… That song has Ronnie Dunn written all over it!!

3. Mike M.No Gravatar says:

I think Springsteen’s “The River” would make a great country song.

4. [...] Country Universe: What classic pop song would you like to hear covered by a country artist? [...]

5. BobNo Gravatar says:

Enjoyed hearing the Gilbert O’Sullivan song again. thanks.

Although it has been covered before by others, I like Brian B’s idea of having Ronnie Dunn cover “Good Time Charlie’s Got the Blues”. I have the song on O’Keefe’s “Breezy Stories” album and saw Danny sing it at a show 3 years ago. He sounded real good.

I’d like to see someone cover Don Mclean’s “Empty Chairs” from his “American Pie” album. The title track and “Vincent” rightly were chosen as the singles, but “Empty Chairs” is still one of my favorite McLean songs. John Berry would be my choice to sing it.

I’ll come up with a more thoughtful one later, but I’ve been obsessed with the idea of Wynonna and Dwight Yoakam covering “I Touch Myself” for a few weeks now.

7. ccdixonNo Gravatar says:

I’m not sure I’d necessarily call it a classic, but I could see Expose’s “I’ll Never Get Over You (Getting Over Me)” reinvented as a country song.

8. Blake BoldtNo Gravatar says:

@ccdixon: Thanks for the memories. I really dug that song when I was younger. I wore that tape out!

One of the current crop of country ladies should remake “Bette Davis Eyes,” though I don’t know how you’d top the original by Kim Carnes.

9. kLarkNo Gravatar says:

I don’t know if this song can be considered as a classic but I submit Insensitive by Jann Arden

10. Matt. BNo Gravatar says:

Blake,

“Bette Davis Eyes” would sound good coming from Sarah Buxton…

11. TomNo Gravatar says:

…belinda carlisle’s “leave a light on” would be a sure no. 1 for carrie underwood, sara evans, sugarland or little big town.

12. GavinNo Gravatar says:

Blake, I would think a Dixie Chicks version of “Betty Davis Eyes” would be interesting.

13. Lori RynerNo Gravatar says:

Patty Loveless covering “Brass in Pocket” (by the Pretenders).

Faith Hill covering “Silver Springs” (by Fleetwood Mac).

14. Matt. BNo Gravatar says:

Why not go for an obvious here: “Go Your Own Way” by Gloriana.

15. DiamondNo Gravatar says:

Speaking of Don McLean, how about George Strait or Blake Shelton covering “Castles In the Air?”

“The Greatest Love of All” from whitney Houston covered by Carrie Underwood.

17. MichaelNo Gravatar says:

I’m not very good at coming up with these things but I do like Treacle’s U2 suggestions for Wynonna and Lori’s Pretenders recommendation for Patty Loveless. I’m not with you on the Faith Hill one though. I remember it was rumored a couple of years ago that she recorded a version of ABBA’s “The Winner Takes It All” and I was intrigued by that prospect.

@kLark: I don’t really remember it very well, but LeAnn Rimes did cover “Insensitive” (made famous by Jann Arden) in 1998 on her Sittin’ On Top Of the World album.

18. Soul Miners DaughterNo Gravatar says:

Love the idea of Patty Loveless covering “Brass In Pocket”! Now I want to hear it. :-)
    As a lifetime, diehard Fleetwood Mac fan, I can’t take anyone covering their music. Just me. Just my opinion. I remember a few years back when the Dixie Chicks covered “Landslide” and someone asked Lindsey Buckingham what he thought about it. His responded simply, “Well, I’m happy for Stevie.”. Me too, Lindsey.

Oh, and no one should ever, ever, ever cover “Bette Davis Eyes”! Kim’s performance and just the era of when that song came out are too unique and special. Same for her other hit, “More Love”. Some things are just better left be.

19. JosephNo Gravatar says:

Faith Hill performed ABBA’s “The Winner Takes It All” on the 2007 leg of the Soul2Soul tour. I thought it was one of the highlights of her set. I remember awhile back Kevin suggested Shania Twain record that song, which I still think is a great idea.

I would love to hear Trisha Yearwood sing “Love Has No Pride,” most famously performed by Bonnie Raitt and Yearwood’s chief inspiration, Linda Ronstadt. I think Trisha has said that Prisoner In Disguise is one of her favorite albums and “Love Has No Pride,” one of her favorite songs.

20. John HilroyNo Gravatar says:

Well I don’t know if ‘house of love’ was exactly a classic, but I’d like to hear it done by Dolly Parton in her own way.