The Funniest Country Music Videos?

January 29, 2011

Donna Hughes over at The Boot has done a rundown of what she considers the ten funniest country music videos of all-time.

It’s an interesting list. I think the Luke Bryan clip is funny, but so many of her choices rely on stunt casting.  I think she left off a few great ones.

Here are a few of my favorites that didn’t make the list:

Alan Jackson, “That’d Be Alright”

The fourth wall is completely disregarded here, in a meta send-up of country music videos as an art form that even pokes fun at Jackson’s own CMA nomination for Music Video.

Junior Brown, “My Wife Thinks You’re Dead”

This actually won the CMA award for Music Video in 1996.

Shania Twain, “Man! I Feel Like a Woman!”

So many people missed the humor in Twain’s work. This gender role reversal video is brilliant, managing to satirize the blatant sexism in the classic Robert Palmer clip while also paying tongue-in-cheek homage to it.

Matraca Berg & Friends, “Back in the Saddle”

There’s more talent in the back of that paddy wagon than country radio has seen in more than a decade.

Thompson Brothers Band, “Back on the Farm”

Because there aren’t enough talking animals in country music videos.

What are your favorite funny country videos?

Category: Conversations, Miscellaneous Musings, Worth Reading
Tags: , ,

1. AndrewNo Gravatar says:

“Prop Me Up Beside The Jukebox (If I Die)” a.k.a. “Weekend at Diffie’s” is by far my favorite funny video.

2. Ben FosterNo Gravatar says:

I’ll have to come back later when I have time to watch all of these videos (many of which I haven’t seen). But for now, I’ll just throw out a couple of my faves.

Pam Tillis, “Cleopatra, Queen of Denial”
    Patty Loveless, “I Try to Think About Elvis”
    Sara Evans,
    “http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31UEGl9tvX8As If”
    Reba McEntire, “Why Haven’t I Heard from You”

I’m sure five or ten more great ones will pop into my head as soon as I’ve closed out my browser, but they’ll have to wait.

3. Good call on “My Wife Thinks You’re Dead.” I also got a kick out of Brown’s “Venom Wearin’ Denim” video, but if I had to pick one it’d be “Wife.” I am stunned that neither list includes Deana Carter’s classic “Did I Shave My Legs for This” video!

4. K-manNo Gravatar says:

My fav. by far is Stuck Like Glue. It makes me insanely happy and it makes me laugh.

5. livewireNo Gravatar says:

Goodbye Earl is my favorite. I always loved the Shania video as well.

6. Paul DennisNo Gravatar says:

“Honey (Open That Door)” by Ricky Skaggs, was hilarious

7. BobNo Gravatar says:

I like #’s 1 and 2 on the Hughes list. I also like Terri Clark’s “Girls Lie Too” video. If you’re old enough to remember Wayne Newton, it’s even funnier. Another favorite is Diffie’s “If the Devil Danced in Empty Pockets”.

8. BrianNo Gravatar says:

Nothing is funnier than Travis Tritt’s acting in his trilogy of videos.

9. Travis in VIrginiaNo Gravatar says:

what about “Queen of Denial”- Pam Tillis, and Reba’s “Why haven’t I herd from You.”!!!

10. Cory DeSteinNo Gravatar says:

K.T. Oslin-Come Next Monday

11. DiamondNo Gravatar says:

Ricky Skaggs and Bill Monroe in “Country Boy.”

12. Since this is a post about funny country music videos, I wonder what your readers think about CMT’s new sitcom, Working Class? I reviewed it for The Center for Working Class Studies in Youngstown, Ohio. http://workingclassstudies.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/movin%E2%80%99-on-down-cmt-addresses-the-working-class/

I’d pick ‘Stuck Like Glue’ as the best recent contender for this list. I also think you’re spot on about Shania Twain and the overt sarcasm/humor in her music going largely unnoticed.

Some more I like:

Travis Tritt – Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

George Jones – Honky Tonk Song

Reba McEntire & Linda Davis – Does He Love You

14. grannaNo Gravatar says:

The video where Toby Keith is trying to brick up a wall with his wife behind it, but it backfires and he bricks himself up!! Hilarious! Can’t think of the name of the song at the moment! Can someone help me out?? Is it As Good As I Once Was??

15. RJNo Gravatar says:

“A Little Too Late” with the brick wall.

My favorite videos by Toby are “As Good As I Once Was, Trailerhood, Stays In Mexico”.

16. CraigNo Gravatar says:

3 words:
    Stuck Like Glue

17. HeadGriperNo Gravatar says:

There is no blatant sexism in the Palmer video. Stop feeling like a woman Kevin, i get enough feminist crap from Madonna.

18. DelréNo Gravatar says:

Have a listen to ‘Ground Bottom Up’, it’s a solid country rock song with a great dose of humor.

19. Paul W DennisNo Gravatar says:

Brad Paisley – “Online”
    Brad Paisley – “Celebrity”
    Ricky Skaggs – “Honey (Open That Door)”
    Patty Loveless – “Try To Think About Elvis”
    Johnny Cash – “One Piece At A TIme”