2011 Grammy Winners

February 14, 2011

General Categories

Album of the Year: Arcade Fire, The Suburbs

Record of the Year: Lady Antebellum, “Need You Now”

Song of the Year: Dave Haywood, Josh Kear, Charles Kelley & Hillary Scott, “Need You Now”

Best New Artist: Esperanza Spalding

Genre Categories

Best Country Album: Lady Antebellum, Need You Now

Female Country Vocal Performance: Miranda Lambert, “The House That Built Me”

Male Country Vocal Performance: Keith Urban, “‘Til Summer Comes Around”

Country Duo/Group Vocal Performance: Lady Antebellum, “Need You Now”

Country Song: Dave Haywood, Josh Kear, Charles Kelley & Hillary Scott, “Need You Now”

Country Collaboration with Vocals: Zac Brown Band featuring Alan Jackson, “As She’s Walking Away”

Country Instrumental Performance: Marty Stuart, “Hummingbyrd”

Bluegrass Album: Patty Loveless, Mountain Soul II

Americana Album: Mavis Staples, You Are Not Alone

Traditional Folk Album: Carolina Chocolate Drops, Genuine Negro Jig

Contemporary Folk Album: Ray LaMontagne And The Pariah Dogs, God Willin’ & The Creek Don’t Rise

Southern/Country/Gospel Bluegrass Album: Diamond Rio, The Reason

Traditional Gospel Album: Patty Griffin, Downtown Church

Category: Grammys

1. KatieRNo Gravatar says:

any idea where we can find the performances? I missed Miranda’s.

2. ZackNo Gravatar says:

I didn’t get the Lady Antebellum fever that was going on last night, but I am happy Miranda was able to take home at least one Grammy, and I hope Martina got all her screaming out of her in the tribute last night so maybe her next album will be less hard on the ears. ;)

3. Ben FosterNo Gravatar says:

It’s great to see my girl Patty win her first Grammy!

4. Kevin John CoyneNo Gravatar says:

Second! She won Best Country Collaboration with Vocals for “Same Old Train”, which was also the first Grammy for Clint Black, Joe Diffie, Earl Scruggs, and Pam Tillis.

5. RobertNo Gravatar says:

But it was her first solo win, which is fantastic! She’s been nominated multiple times on her own, and never won.

6. MikeNo Gravatar says:

Aside from her being country, does anyone think Miranda’s Revolution should have gotten a nod for Album of the Year?

Yes, I do think it deserved a nomination.

The Lady A wins bummed me out, but I was pleasantly shocked by the ones for Arcade Fire and Esperanza Spalding (who I guess must be widely known in the jazz world? Or something?). I’m not a believer in indie-is-better or anything; it’s just nice to see Grammy voters (a plurality of them, anyway) not just checking the box with the easiest name recognition (which…I mean, “Hey Soul Sister” (Live!) got a Grammy, too).

Also, this:

“Finally, how does Esperanza feel about trumping Bieber for Best New Artist? “When this is all over, we’re all colleagues again, just like we were before,” she says. “He sold more records than me. We’re doing our thing in our respective fields. He’s unquestionably a talented man. What can I say? I didn’t beat him. I’m taking that thing home. He has great hair, and I have great hair.””

10. CraigNo Gravatar says:

Good for Esperanza for ending a bit of the hype! But my, oh my, her Wikipedia and Twitter are both getting TRASHED by those Bieber fanatics. The things those tweens know and say is baffling…

Anyways, congrats to Lady A for representing “Country” (I use that term loosely; note the quotations) last night! I’m very happy for them, and I am stoked for Miranda! First Grammy performance, first Grammy! :)

11. ZackNo Gravatar says:

I feel bad for her, it’s like Carrie vs Taylor, but it’s sad that she doesn’t have as much as a fan-base behind her to support her, even though I’ve never heard of her– what I’ve read about her on recent articles and her bio, she seems like a very nice lady, and I wish her the best.

12. Paul DennisNo Gravatar says:

It’s nice to see jazz artists again receiving a little love from the Academy. If I recall correctly, the last such splash was Herbie Hancock’s well-deserved album of the year award a few years back for his covers of Joni Mitchell material

13. PatrickNo Gravatar says:

Congrats to Patty

14. HeatherNo Gravatar says:

“any idea where we can find the performances?”

Exactly what I’ve been thinking since I missed the whole thing! I’m having a hard time looking for it. Does anybody know where’s a good source to watch it whole?