The 30 Day Song Challenge: Day 2

May 10, 2011

Today’s category is… A Song You Hate.

Here are the staff picks:

Dan Milliken: Travie McCoy featuring Bruno Mars, “Billionaire”

I usually don’t hate music if it’s blatantly awful. That usually makes me love it. (I have especially great affection for the universally maligned “We Built This City” thanks to the efforts of Twitter queen Megan Amram.) What grates on me is the technically listenable stuff that is still, slyly, really bland and stupid. Travie McCoy offers some decent verses here atop an aesthetically pleasant track; but it all goes to wash if you try to digest the lyrics of Bruno Mars chorus, which earned extra hate-points for always tricking me into thinking “Santeria” was coming on the radio last year.

Tara Seetharam: Jason Aldean, “She’s Country”

There are certainly more fundamentally offensive songs out there, but this one elicits from me inexplicable anger. From its pounding pseudo-rock arrangement to Aldean’s spitfire delivery (of ridiculousness like “honey-dripping honey from a holler in Kentucky”), everything about the song feels so aggressive. And if you’ve ever been subjected to the rap re-mix without at least a drink in your hand, you have my deepest sympathy.

Kevin Coyne: Brad Paisley, “Little Moments”

It’s the most frustratingly condescending tribute to a wife since “Honey.” At least that Bobby Goldsboro classic was released before the women’s rights movement was in full swing.  Sure, at least he doesn’t kill her off in the end, but is death really a worse fate when compared to your husband living for those little moments when you show what a stupid little woman you are?

Leeann Ward: Darryl Worley, “Have You Forgotten?”

I can digest Toby Keith’s angry anthem much easier than Worley’s patronizing piece of manipulation. Even though I’m just as relieved as anyone to have Bin Laden gone, this song, like few others, still gets my blood boiling.

Category: The 30 Day Song Challenge
Tags: , , , , ,

1. ZackNo Gravatar says:

I’m usually not picky, and I’m sure that I have quite a few songs that I detest, but whenever this one comes on I’m quick to turn off the radio or change the station:

“Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue,” Toby Keith

Whitney Houston’s ultra-overblown version of “I Will Always Love You” takes the cake for me, even twenty years later.

3. AndrewNo Gravatar says:

Pretty much anything Jason Aldean does is crap, but I have to agree on “She’s Country” being the worst offender. Only Aldean could sing a song called “She’s Country” that doesn’t contain even the slightest element of country music.

4. JakeNo Gravatar says:

Funny I hate most of the songs that everyone listed, “Little Moments” is the only exception. “Have You Forgotten” would probably be it because it’s so manipulating with it’s lyrics but I was a kid when it was released to radio so now hearing it brings back nostalgia, isn’t that sad? For me it’s gotta be “International Harvester” by I think Craig Morgan, oh and his other song “A Little Bit Of Life”. I can’t stand the songs for whatever reason. Actually I can’t stand pretty much any song that is bragging about being country these days because I just few it as a marketing ploy to get airtime.

5. K-ManNo Gravatar says:

For country, I cringe when “Shiftwork” by Kenny Chesney comes on. It’s so devoid of passion and anything that could possible make it interesting that I just can’t stand it.

Outside of the country genre, I’d have to say Soulja Boy is a strong contender for having songs that I hate. The worst, I think, is Ya Trick Ya.

6. DanNo Gravatar says:

I love me some Jason Aldean music, so don’t even get me started on people saying everything he puts out is crap. Personally, my least favorite country song would have to be “Good Morning Beautiful” by Steve Holy. It’s a pretty inoffensive sounding song, but something about it just grates on my ears.

7. JoJoNo Gravatar says:

I would have to agree with Jake and say “International Harvester.” I love “Redneck Yacht Club” and “I Got You”, but I can’t stand Harvester, “Little Bit Of Life,’ or “Bonfire.”

8. bobNo Gravatar says:

I can’t stand the Worley “Have You Forgotten” song but I hate Toby’s “Get Drunk and Be Somebody” even more. His “Get My Drink On” and “She’s a Hottie” are not far behind.

9. ShaneNo Gravatar says:

Rebecca Black – Friday

10. Tara SeetharamNo Gravatar says:

I kind of love “Get Drunk and Be Somebody”…

11. JonathanNo Gravatar says:

My day 2 pick was also my least favorite song of 2010:

Jason Aldean “Crazy Town”

12. KarlyNo Gravatar says:

“Friday.” Enough said.

It’s so bad, I might have to consider demoting the country picks to honorable mentions…

13. DevinNo Gravatar says:

Almost hard to choose a “hated” song, but I think that honor would go to Chicken and Biscuits by Colt Ford.

Where do I start with what I don’t like about that song…

I’ll just say, if you ever tried to woo a girl by saying you loved her as much as you loved Chicken and Biscuits, you should fully expect to be kicked to the curb…

14. DeniseNo Gravatar says:

“Ticks” Brad Paisley

15. travis in vaNo Gravatar says:

Hands down “Cowboy Casanova”! Also that annoying “Say what you need to say ” song. How many times must he sing that line? Aaaaahhhhhhh

16. Ben FosterNo Gravatar says:

There are a few artists I can think of whom I don’t hate in general, but who have put out a cluster of epic misfires in recent years. (Aldean, Paisley, Adkins, McGraw, the Flatts)

I could talk about songs I hate all day, but for now I’ll just mention one: Rascal Flatts, “Here Comes Goodbye.” First of all, the narrator just sounds like the weepiest, most insecure little person ever. Secondly, it’s way overblown (not that’s surprising coming from Rascal Flatts). The real death stroke is when Gary just screams at the top of his lungs “Here Comes GoodBYYYYYYYEEEE!!!” and then it gives way to an atrocious guitar solo… Oh, my head!!

17. CJNo Gravatar says:

Still a Little Chicken Left on That Bone by Craig Morgan wins by a mile

18. Hoggy from OzNo Gravatar says:

I concur. I greatly dislike “She’s Country”, as with most Jason Aldean songs.

I like the idea of “Little Moments” but it could have been done significantly better, so that it is not so condescending.

But above all I HATE Rascal Flatt’s “Bob That Head” and The Black Eyed Peas (in general, but particularly) “Imma Be”. Both of those songs annoy me to no end.

19. AaronNo Gravatar says:

I went with Colt Ford’s “Chicken and Biscuits” for this part of the challenge as well! It’s a pointless song with a stupid video! Although there were a bunch of other contenders like songs from Toby Keith and Trace Adkins (“Brown Chicken Brown Cow”).

I second your assessment of “Little Moments,” Hoggy, and “Imma Be” was actually almost my choice for this post.

21. TomNo Gravatar says:

…craig morgan’s “bonfire”.

22. SaraNo Gravatar says:

Billy Ray Cyrus, Achy Breaky Heart.

23. Paul DennisNo Gravatar says:

It’s close between two songs:

A) “Not Ready To Make Nice” by version 2 of the Dixie Chicks – the whimperings of spoiled five year olds if ever I heard it

B) “Johnny Cash” by Jason Aldean – a cynical and exploitive peace of garbage having nothing to do with Johnny Cash other than as a shout out

Yeah, a “shout” out in the literal sense.

25. Rodney in South CarolinaNo Gravatar says:

“Unanswered Prayers” by Garth Brooks….YUCK!!

26. ALJIDNo Gravatar says:

Taylor Swift’s Mean. What’s wrong when people slam her with the truth that she can’t sing?

27. ShannonNo Gravatar says:

“Wake me up when september ends” — Green Day

“Winner at a Losing Game” — Rascal Flatts

ANYTHING by Taylor Swift

28. Joseph BrownellNo Gravatar says:

Kellie Pickler- Dont You Know You’re Beautiful

Everything Toby Keith except New Orleans

29. bllNo Gravatar says:

I have a ton of songs that I dislike, but ‘That Don’t Impress Me Much’ makes me run for the off switch.

I get annoyed when decent artists go for gimmick songs (Trace Adkins, Toby Keith).

30. The Jane Dear Girls’ Wildflower. Just awful.

31. BillyNo Gravatar says:

Train – “Hey Soul Sister”

Pat’s voice on this song is so grating. Normally I don’t complain about vocals, but this is a special case. Also, the lyrics make no sense at all. I think that the only reason it was recorded was to ride on the coattails that “I’m Yours” left behind. “I’m Yours” is a much, much better song, and deep down Pat Monahan knows that.

When Pat decides to sing well and write well, the results are much better. “Hey Soul Sister” was my least favorite big hit of last year, and there were quite a few bad ones to choose from.

32. lisaNo Gravatar says:

i love all of jason aldean songs. i love all of kenny chesney’ songs. and rascal flatts are the best group. my favorite rascal flatts songs are winning at losing game and these days.

33. lisaNo Gravatar says:

brad paisley little moments is sweet

So amy songsIcould list, but i’ll go with a fairly recent one “White Horse” by Taylor Swift

35. lisaNo Gravatar says:

lonester amzzed is a corny song. that one song i hate.

What a great idea for a blog feature. I’m up to day 15 on my own, and I’ll eagerly await your choices over here.

Song I hate: “Drop It Like It’s Hot” by Snoop Dogg. Not only is this song sickeningly repetitive, I’m not sure any of the sounds are made by actual instruments.

37. KatieNo Gravatar says:

Carrie Underwood’s, “Jesus Take the Wheel”

and a myriad of others that I have blocked from my consciousness so cannot recall now. That and I haven’t listened to country radio in 3 months.

38. BrianNo Gravatar says:

Only a guy would write about that Paisley song with the venom that Kevin did.

It’s clearly Friday.

Also that Snoop Dogg song is great. Not even close to being the worst.

Hmmm…While I know women who love “Little Moments”, I agree with Kevin and I know a few other women who agree as well. If my husband talked about me like that, I wouldn’t be flattered; I’d at least want to give my sides of the stories. Likewise, I wouldn’t talk about my husband that way either, as if he was a bafoon. I mean, what does he point out?: that his wife cusses, can’t drive, is unfocused and can’t cook, can’t follow a map or read directions, puts his sacrificing arm to sleep…Isn’t that all so darn cute? He thinks he’ll keep her.

Then again, I like “She’s Everything” and that gets a lot of criticism too.

And could a melody be more lifeless?

41. KarlyNo Gravatar says:

I’ll add two more to my list:

Taylor Swift “Shoulda Said No” & Sugarland’s “All I Wanna Do.”

42. MikeNo Gravatar says:

There are a bevy of possibilities for this one.

I’d could with Jason Aldean’s She’s Country because it is sung about a done-to-death topic and is a poorly written song that offers meaning and in no way connects with the listener, allowing them to take anything away from the song, Shoot! As well the production is senselessly loud and has not a shred of anything country music in it. Other Jason Aldean honorable mentions (for many of the same reasons) include Crazy Town, Red Dirt Road, Johnny Cash and Hicktown.

The other songs non-Aldean that contend for me are All I Want to Do by Sugarland (a real nose-plugger on that one by Jennifer) and Tim McGraw’s Southern Voice.

But the all-time crapper is SYLVIA’S MOTHER by Dr. Hook, B-A-R-F! I want to find Dr. Hook and clobber him for ever releasing that song. It is played on our work automated system all the time. Simply an AWFUL song! AWFUL! AWFUL!

43. lisaNo Gravatar says:

i love jason aldean she” country and crazy town. ilove red dirt road and johnny cash and hick town. i love sugerlan all i want to do ., i love tim mcgraw ‘ southern voice.

44. [...] Universe is rolling right along with the 30 Day Song Challenge: Day 2: A Song You Hate, Day 3: A Song That Makes You Happy, Day 4: A Song That Makes You [...]

45. Right now I am so frigging sick of that Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson duet “Don’t You Wanna Stay” I almost scream when I hear it come on. Hate that damn song!!!! I don’t much care for his “Johnny Cash” or “My Kinda Party” either…but just when I’m about to write him off, he does come out with some excellent songs like “Amarillo Sky”, “The Truth,” “Why.” So I don’t quite hate all his stuff, but he is no favorite of mine either.
    I don’t mind the “All I Want to Do” song, but Sugarland’s “Stuck Like Glue” is their worst single ever, and I am still sick of Jennifer and Bon Jovi’s “Who Says You Can’t Go Home.”
    Kenny Chesney has a slate of songs I despise (“Out Last Night,”, “Don’t Blink,” “Boys of Fall” to name a few), as does more recent Craig Morgan “hits”(?) ” International Harvester” and “Bonfire” (I miss his meaningful songs like early in his career’s “Almost Home”). Previously mentioned Rascal Flatts’ “Bob That Head” is banned from my presence. I’ve softened somewhat with time but still no fan of “Have You Forgotten”. Absolutely hate Toby’s “What Happens in Mexico” and “She’s a Hottie”. And I can’t remember the title anymore, but there was a song of Trisha Yearwood’s that was a hit in 2002-2003 I could not stand to hear.
    Songs I’ve grown to hate from sheer overplaying have included Reba’s “Fancy,” Faith Hill’s “The Way You Love Me,” every Darius Rucker and Carrie Underwood single at its peak, among others.
    Yeah, there’s plenty more I could name but I’ll leave off for now.

46. HeidyNo Gravatar says:

Anyone else sick to death of Sarah Barellis? If I hear Kind of Anything one more time I’m going to stick a fork in my ear!!!

47. DCNo Gravatar says:

I could turn on the radio to any country station right now and there’s a 75% chance one of my “hates” will be playing. But to narrow it down a bit, I will say “International Harvester” by Craig Morgan. I absolutely despise it, but every time I hear it on the radio the lyrics get stuck in my head and I can’t get rid of them, so that makes it even worse.

48. LouannNo Gravatar says:

@ Shannon – I’m totally with you on anything by Taylor Swift. I just don’t get her appeal AT ALL. (But I Love “Wake me up when september ends” — go figure!)- Louann Chho

49. Jon G.No Gravatar says:

Sticking to so-called “country music,” I’m going with Carrie Underwood “Undo It.” No one has been able to explain to me why they like it, but I’ve written pages about why I loathe it.

And, just because lisa started it, I love Toby Keith. I own twelve of his CDs and the number keeps growing.

50. ReaganNo Gravatar says:

Felt Good on My Lips – Tim McGraw. I don’t think it needs an explanation.

51. Miss KittyNo Gravatar says:

Leeann, I completely agree with you. That song makes my head spin around.

Even though I’m late to this party, here are some other country songs that get on my last good nerve:
    –Lee Greenwood, “God Bless the USA” (because it’s so overdone and sappy like Worley’s song)
    –Toby Keith, “Beer for My Horses” (similar reasons as above, plus it’s so simplistic…and horses don’t even like beer)
    –Carrie Underwood, “Before He Cheats” (don’t deface his truck, honey–just dump his sorry a**. Cheating or not, you’re still on the hook for one count of vandalism for every $500 of damage. Your prints are all over the vehicle.)
    –Trace Adkins, “Honky-Tonk Badonkadonk” (there’s a saying, “Once white folks start using a word that black folks made up, it’s officially out of style. Stop trying to look like you’re “with it,” Trace.)
    –ANY SONG by Taylor Swift (BARF at manufactured “country” music)

52. FrederickNo Gravatar says:

@ Miss Kitty – I had a pony once that loved beer. He would grab your cup with his teeth and pour it down his own throat! And down with Taylor Twitt (I mean Swift). – frederick sallaz

53. PatrickNo Gravatar says:

When I did this on facebook, I made sure to choose an awful song nobody would recognize: Strange Beliefs by +3 Broadsword. I can assure you, it’s worse than anything else mentioned here