The 30 Day Song Challenge: Day 9

May 17, 2011

Today’s category is…

A Song That Makes You Want to Dance.

Here are the staff picks:

Leeann Ward: “Cotton Eye Joe” – Rednex

Just as I don’t sing, I also don’t do much dancing. A song that makes me want to dance, however, should also double as my guilty pleasure choice. Chalk it up to association with childhood memories.

Dan Milliken: “Twistin’” – Bruce Robison

Robison is best known for piercing ballads like “Travelin’ Soldier” and “Angry All the Time,” but he can rock a lighthearted uptempo with the best of them, too. “Twistin’” will have you shaking around till you’ve ‘bout ripped your pants and broken your bones, just like the groovy tune’s narrator.

Tara Seetharam: “LoveStoned/I Think She Knows” – Justin Timberlake

My favorite off his kickass Future Sex/Love Sounds album. He literally commands you to dance in the middle of the song – and how can you not?

Kevin Coyne: “Runaround Sue” – Dion

I don’t dance. Sorry. But this is the song that makes my mom get up and dance, so that will have to do.

Category: The 30 Day Song Challenge
Tags: , , ,

1. ZackNo Gravatar says:

I’m not much for dancing, but I do dance along to P!nk’s “Raise Your Glass.”

2. Ben FosterNo Gravatar says:

“Cotton Eyed Joe” is a good pick! I’m usually a very willing dancer, but it’s when the DJ spins the “Electric Slide” that I really make a beeline for the dance floor.

There have been some songs, like Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock N Roll” and The B-52′s “Love Shack,” that I didn’t really get into when I first heard them, only to have something snap inside of me when they were played at a dance party.

3. klarkNo Gravatar says:

I’ll go with Tara. LoL.

Tara, that song is on my typically unused “Work Out” playlist. Love it.

5. Paul DennisNo Gravatar says:

I don’t dance very wellor vry often (something about being born with two left feet) but if I did dance “Twist and Shout” by the Isley Brothers would be the one to get me up on the dance floor

6. Travis in VIrginiaNo Gravatar says:

I love to try to flat foot to good ole reliable “Rocky Top”!!! I’m not very good, but I try everytime the song comes on!

7. Tara SeetharamNo Gravatar says:

Tara, that song is on my typically unused “Work Out” playlist. Love it.

That makes me happy :) Ironically, I just worked out for the first time in an embarrassingly long time, and it came on shuffle.

8. BillyNo Gravatar says:

Great choices on this one! Loving the JT love, Tara. JT is one of my pop favorites.

My pick: “My Love (feat. T.I.)” – Justin Timberlake

The production on this is perfect, and makes me want to move and sing at the top of my lungs.

9. K-ManNo Gravatar says:

What doesn’t make me want to dance? Anyway, the Till the World Ends remix by Britney, Nicki, and Kesha is a winner for me.

I’ll probably get laughed off of here, but my choice is…

STAYING ALIVE–The Bee Gees

11. MikeNo Gravatar says:

Boot Scootin’ Boogie by Kix & Ronnie!

“Heel toe, dosey doe, come on baby let’s gooooooo boot scootin’”

12. JoJoNo Gravatar says:

Follow My Heart- REO Speedwagon

13. JakeNo Gravatar says:

On the hip-hop side probably Usher’s “Yeah”. For an oldie it would probably be “Your Momma Don’t Dance” by Loggins & Messina.

14. Hoggy from OzNo Gravatar says:

Although it’s one of my least favourite songs from their last album, Maroon 5′s “Give a Little More” just has this groove to it that makes me want to move.

Rest assured this doesn’t happen. I don’t dance ;)

15. TomNo Gravatar says:

…steve earle’s “guitar town” – and if i can’t make a few steps, i’ll just wriggle my but on the car seat and tap along.

16. bobNo Gravatar says:

I’m not much for dancing but Leo Sayer’s “Long Tall Glasses” makes me want to. The song is misnamed. In the 2nd verse, long tall glasses of wine are mentioned and never again. In the first chorus he sings “I can’t dance” 4 times but to eat he has to dance. In the rest of the song he sings “I Can Dance” over a dozen times. Sayer is one of the most energetic performers I’ve ever seen. Saw him at the Westbury Music Fair in the early 80′s.

Of the staff picks, I like Kevin’s the best since my wife and I are both fans of Dion & the Belmonts and saw Dion w/o the Belmonts at the Westchester Premier Theatre.

Also like Jake’s pick of “Your Momma Don’t Dance” by Loggins & Messina. Kenny Loggins recently formed a new group, Blue Sky Riders, with Nashville songwriters Georgia Middleman and Gary Burr. They’re touring this summer.

Interesting info about Kenny Loggins. I’m interested.

I dont dance, I’m a paraplegic, but if I could..

“I just Wanna dance With You”
    “Sea of Cowboy Hats”
    “Rocky Top”
    “Sold (The Grundy County Auction incident)

To name just a few

19. TivisianaNo Gravatar says:

20. stephanieNo Gravatar says:

Abba-Dancing Queen

21. DeniseNo Gravatar says:

Play That Funky Music

I’ll go with George Strait:

“If You Ain’t Lovin”
    “All My Ex’s Live In Texas”
    “Gone As A Girl Can Get”
    … etc.

23. ReaganNo Gravatar says:

Uncontrollable Urge by Devo.