The 30 Day Song Challenge: Day 29

June 7, 2011

Today’s category is…

A Song That No One Would Expect You To Love.

Here are the staff picks:

Dan Milliken: “3 Peat” - Lil Wayne

My friends all think I’m a big wimp. They’re right. But I do like Wayne. (Though even in this case, I’m drawn to the vulnerability in the song more than the aggression.)

Tara Seetharam: “Disco Inferno” – 50 Cent

This shouldn’t come as a surprise to most of my friends in real life, but those in the blogosphere probably wouldn’t expect me to love 50 Cent as much as I do. I could list a handful of songs here, but this one is a blast.

Kevin Coyne: “Symphony No. 5″ – Beethoven

Best. Intro. Ever.

Leeann Ward: “Dirt Off Your Shoulder” – Jay-Z

I imagine this selection might successfully do the trick of surprising people, but I really do love this song.

Category: The 30 Day Song Challenge
Tags: , , ,

1. Hoggy from OzNo Gravatar says:

Kevin, I love you’re pick :D

Going with that, my pick would be Beethoven’s “Symphony No. 3″. It helps me think before I have to do an assignment :)

Actually, I when most people see me they are surprised I listen to country music. Haha.

2. travis in vaNo Gravatar says:

probable”Ghetto Superstar”!

3. DeniseNo Gravatar says:

Plush by Stone Temple Pilots

“Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley.

5. Greg MNo Gravatar says:

Interesting choices for a country music blog. I wonder what a hip hop blog of the similar nature would be like. ;)

6. “You Can Call Me Al” by Paul Simon

7. Tara SeetharamNo Gravatar says:

It does seem like the CU staff has a little bit of hip hop in its soul ;)

Kevin’s the classy one.:)

9. Paul DennisNo Gravatar says:

“That’s The Way I Like It” by K.C. and the Sunshine Band – no reason, I just do

10. bobNo Gravatar says:

“If I Didn’t Care” by the Ink Spots was their first big hit in 1939 although the group was formed in 1934. Many of the songs were sentimental ballads which featured what became their signature guitar intro plus a “talking chorus”. The Ink Spots were part of my family’s 78 rpm record collection when I was growing up.

Some of the other Ink Spots songs I love include “We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me)”, “Maybe”, “Do I Worry” (dated with the line “Do I worry, when the iceman calls”), “The Gypsy”, “Whispering Grass”, “To Each His Own”, “I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire”, “Until the Real Thing Comes Along”, “Someone’s Rocking My Dreamboat”, “Prisoner of Love”, “Thoughtless” “Don’t Get Around Much Anymore” and “Address Unknown”. (“My Prayer” I first heard by the Platters probably in the late 50′s.)

11. JakeNo Gravatar says:

Probably “We Made You” by Eminemn, while the lyrics are always a little explicit I like the beat.

12. bllNo Gravatar says:

I grew up on folk and country so when Steppenwolf’s ‘Born to be Wild’ makes it into the mix eyebrows are raised.

“I’m Real” by Jennifer Lopez and Ja Rule.

14. BillyNo Gravatar says:

“Monster” – Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, Jay-Z, and Bon Iver

I am a fan of Kanye’s music, and that shocks people. Can’t help it. The man is a genius producer and can really turn a phrase. Nicki steals the show here, but that’s to be expected. Nicki almost always steals the spotlight when she’s involved. Add a verse from Jay-Z plus a Bon Iver hook and you have a genius song.

15. Mike KNo Gravatar says:

“Summer Girls” – LFO. Yep.

16. Miss KittyNo Gravatar says:

Wow! These certainly are some surprising song choices!

Mike K, I like that song too, even though I tried my best not to. [hangs head]

17. TomNo Gravatar says:

…lee greenwood’s – “god bless the usa”

18. DCNo Gravatar says:

“Separate Ways” by Journey. My friends and family think I don’t listen to anything but country, so to hear 80s rock playing in my car would blow their minds.

19. JoshNo Gravatar says:

“Children’s Story” by Slick Rick. Better writing and storytelling than most country songs! I like to think that in a different life, ol’ Slick Rick could have been quite the country songwriter…

Most People who know me would be suprised how much I like taylor Swift. Specifically “Teardrops on my Guitar”

21. Get on my level you can’t get on my level you would need a space shuttle or a latter that’s forever…

Very wide range of music there. Nice list all the same!