The last few weeks have been full of discussions, debates and even steps and leaps toward major social changes. Songs that most easily hit my sweet spot are songs with thoughtful social commentary. Happily, even with its stereotypes of drinking, cheating and, now, tailgating, country music has not been shy about commenting on social issues.
Here are five of my favorite songs with social commentary. What are some of yours?
- Radney Foster, “Not in My House”
- Waylon Jennings, “America”
- Gail Davies, “Unwed Fathers”
- Peter Cooper, “715 (For Hank Aaron)”
- Dolly Parton, “Just Because I’m a Woman”