Ah…Remember the days when a name drop of a country singer actually meant something and made sense within the context of the song? Before Jason Aldean’s gratuitous and inane name checks of Johnny Cash, Alabama and even Joe Diffie? Those were the days, weren’t they?
What are some of your favorite songs that refer to country singers or country songs?
- Don Williams, “Good Old Boys Like Me” (Hank Williams)
- Vince Gill, “Some Things Never Get Old” (Emmylou Harris’ “Bluebird Wine”)
- Rodney Crowell, “Walk the Line Revisited” (Johnny Cash)
- Ashley Monroe, “Hank’s Cadillac” (Hank Williams)
- Josh Turner, “Loretta Lynn’s Lincoln”