Discussion: Favorite Cowboy Songs

December 2, 2008

A long time ago, in a land far, far away, country music was called “country and western” music. The singing cowboy has been one of the central figures in the rich tapestry of the genre. An excellent new collection celebrates this fine American heritage:

In celebration of the upcoming 50th anniversary National Finals Rodeo (NFR), which will take place (and be telecast on ESPN2 and ESPN Classic) from December 4-13th, BOOTS, BUCKLES & SPURS will gather 50 favorites from the cowboy rodeo songbook – from Gene Autry’s “Back In The Saddle Again” (1939) to Brooks & Dunn’s “Cowboy Town” (2007, the official theme song of the 50th anniversary NFR).  The deluxe 3-CD box set will be available at all physical and digital retail outlets starting November 18th through SONY BMG Nashville/Legacy, a division of SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

What’s your favorite cowboy/country-western song?

Category: Discussion
Tags: ,

1. Hands down “Night Riders Lament”

2. Jim ONo Gravatar says:

I have just been listening to the recent “Life of a Song” album by Joey+Rory.
    and One of the many wonderful tracks from this album comes to mind right now.
    “Tonight Cowboy You’re Mine”.
    This also features Mike Johnson, however, it is Joey Martin’s vocal that makes this a very memorable song.

I think one of my favorites is “Ghost Riders In The Sky.”

4. Steve from BostonNo Gravatar says:

I just picked up Joey+Rory’s CD, and I love their song “Boots” especially..(One of the finest fiddle and steel intro’s I’ve ever heard) I guess in some ways that can be considered a Cowboy song..I love the way they make boots the embodiment of the Cowboy philosophy!

Crossing over into Country Rock, I’d pick Hurry Sundown, and Gunsmoke by the Outlaws..

5. Steve from BostonNo Gravatar says:

OH, and how bout the Eagles’ whole Doolin’-Dalton album?! (and arent’ the Eagles considered Country now anyway?)

And Blake, I actually REMEMBER when it was called “Country-Western” music, lol.

6. Steve from BostonNo Gravatar says:

OK, sorry for not limiting my choices, but …How about Patty Loveless and Radney Foster’s duet “Rainbow down the Road” from the Maverick soundtrack?!…LOVE that song!

Steve, I love that Loveless and Foster song too!

8. Paul W DennisNo Gravatar says:

“Someday Soon” by Ian Tyson is probably my favorite with “Big Iron” and “El Paso” by Marty Robbins right up there

9. BillNo Gravatar says:

Favorite cowboy song: “My Rifle, My Pony and Me” performed by Dean Martin and Ricky
    Nelson (with Walter Brennan playing harmonica) in RIO BRAVO, one of my favorite