Against the backdrop of the Vietnam War and major social movements, legendary artists like Merle Haggard, George Jones, and Tammy Wynette become superstars.
Also discussed during this episode:
- Kris Kristofferson’s legacy as a songwriter, and how his family disowned him while he made that pursuit
- Johnny Cash showcasing a wide range of talent on his popular network television show
- How the folk revival led to a renewed interest in bluegrass music
- The disbanding of Flatt & Scruggs
- The making of Will the Circle Be Unbroken?, the landmark Nitty Gritty Dirt Band album
What did you think of Episode 6?