Discussion: Recommend a Track

October 31, 2008

Earlier this week, I’d planned on talking about an Iris Dement track for this weekly discussion thread.  Then some poking around on iTunes led me to discover something else entirely.

I love iTunes because it helps me find random tracks by my favorite artists that I had no idea existed.  One of the names I throw in the search engine from time to time is Olivia Newton-John, the first artist that I remember actually liking as a young child.   Little did I know she’s been recording country music again, apparently for a television version of the Sordid Lives movie she was in a decade ago.

I’ve never seen the flick, but I picked up the movie soundtrack a while back.  It included a stunning and heartfelt acoustic performance of the Carter Family classic “Will the Circle Be Unbroken.”

Tonight’s recommendation comes from the television show’s soundtrack, and while this song may not be a country classic yet, it certainly deserves to be.    In fact, I’d like to see Carrie Underwood cut it for her next album.

I present to you Olivia Newton-John, “You Look Like a Dick to Me.”

Top that, Country Universians.

Category: Discussion
Tags: ,

Ha! I guess I’ll have to comb through some Hank III stuff to even compare.:) I’ll be back.

2. Chris D.No Gravatar says:

That song was really funny (Olivia sure showed him. xD), but I’ll try to top that with some Lee Ann Womack!

A great track from There’s More Where That Came From, “What I Miss About Heaven”, is a rare up-tempo track from Lee Ann where she shows she can really shine in up-tempo songs in addition to ballads.

The song has a good hook, comparing her lost love to heaven, and saying “the only thing about heaven I miss is you”, or more notably the “backseat summer night held-tight kiss/ I ain’t ashamed to admit that this is the only thing I miss”. It’s nice to have a song that’s purely fun and doesn’t get all mushy, but honestly shallow and entertaining.

The rollicking accompaniment doesn’t hurt either.

Oh crap, I just reread the post and can’t stop laughing at the Carrie reference!

4. Chris,

I was disappointed when I found out Womack was singing “Held-tight” instead of “Hell-type.”

Lee Ann,

This song is clearly the next logical step after “Last Name” and “Before He Cheats”, don’t ya think? :)

5. JakeNo Gravatar says:

I’m also going to recommend Lee Ann Womack. The track “The Healing Kind” off of her album I Hope You Dance is a great one. I don’t know how to describe the album but it is so fresh and entertaining and I can see why this was chosen as the opening track for the album ;)

6. AaronNo Gravatar says:

I’m gonna join in on the Lee Ann Womack songs here with my favorite song from her debut album. “Montgomery to Memphis” has always been one of my favorite songs by Lee Ann. I have no clue how to even begin to describe it! The song’s about a woman who moves to Memphis from Montgomery because her man left her. Now he’s saying he wants her back after she’s finally gotten over her heartache, but she ain’t having none of it! Telling him that it’s “a million miles from Montgomery to Memphis.” It’s a great song and Lee Ann does a superb job on the vocals!

7. JaneNo Gravatar says:

Chris D, I was going to mention that song, but you beat me to it. It’s probably one of my favourites of Lee Ann’s album… Though the whole album is plain ol’ awesome.

8. Greg M says:

In staying with the Womack theme, this song was on radio for a time, but it seemed to disappear very soon after it premiered. “Why They Call It Falling.” I probably should invest in the “I hope you Dance” CD. Sounds like one of a great albums of the decade based on this thread.

9. bobby says:

since everyone seems to be going with lee ann womack, i’ll go ahead and recommend “stronger than i am.” the introduction music before she starts singing is absolutely haunting and the lyrics are almost as sincere as the unbelievable sincerity in the vocals. everytime I hear it I can’t get over how good it is.

10. Chris D.No Gravatar says:

I didn’t mean to start a whole trend! xD

Those are all great Womack songs though.

Kevin, why exactly were you disappointed?

Chris,
    Held-tight is just a bit more boring than hell-type.:)

12. RainbowNo Gravatar says:

I recommend the Matraca Berg penned tune “Goodbye Train”, sung by Deana Carter:

I’ve been waiting for a week when the recommended tracks were all really strong to bring this one out … and this seems like the week for it.

Lori McKenna – Your Next Lover

14. Chelsea says:

Thanks for the youtube link… am I the only one who laughed when it open and the full title was given as “You Look Like a Dick to Me (Uncut)?”

I thought the uncut reference was funny as hell too Chelsea. I can’t find a youtube link for my track, so here’s one from zshare …

16. ZachNo Gravatar says:

I’m now on another Reba kick so I’d like to recomned a song that I’ve been listening to a lot from Ms. Reba:

“It Always Rains On Saturday” from her Sweet Sixteen album :)

17. StephenNo Gravatar says:

That post made me crack up. If Carrie recorded the song I would back her 100%. Pure hilarity. Anyways, speaking of Carrie, I recommend “The First Noel” by Carrie on her new re-release. (Where is the review CUniverse?) The song is beautifully produced and Carrie’s vocal control is amazing. Her falsetto at the end is stunning, and this is a song that will surely blow up come Christmas.

18. Chris N.No Gravatar says:

Lucinda Williams and Elvis Costello, “Jailhouse Tears.”