The 30 Day Song Challenge: Day 26

Today’s category is…

A Song About Time.

Here are the staff picks:

Tara Seetharam: “For the Good Times” – Jamey Johnson

About a man spending one last night with his lover, frozen in the “good times” instead of thinking about the pain that will inevitably ensue. There are plenty of versions of this song that I enjoy, but Johnson’s hits on the exact swirl of genres that just gets to me.

Kevin Coyne: “Pushing Up Daisies” – Garth Brooks

My favorite metaphor about time and the importance of making it count is captured in the chorus of this song.

Leeann Ward: “Wayside (Back in Time)” – Chris Thile

When I looked through my iTunes to find a song about time, as you might imagine, many of them were reflective and conveyed some sort of sentimentality. But I love this breakneck version of Gillian Welch and David Rawling’s “Wayside (Back in Time)” the best.

Dan Milliken: “Time Changes Everything” – Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys

The sweet, simple truth: If you think you’ll never get over being discarded, wait.

29 Comments on The 30 Day Song Challenge: Day 26

1. Jim Croce’s “Time in a Bottle”.

2. “Time Marches On” Tracy Lawrence

3. Time After Time enough said

4. “Back When We Were Beautiful” – Matraca Berg

“Not a Day Goes By” – Stephen Sondheim

5. CharlesNo Gravatar // June 4, 2011 at 11:03 am //

“Time”–Freddie Mercury

6. Paul DennisNo Gravatar // June 4, 2011 at 11:13 am //

Rex Allen Jr “It’s Time We Talk Things Over”

Of course “For The Good Times” but in the Ray Price version. I like Jamey Johnson be he isn’t Ray Price, not even the 85 year old version still out there performing

7. ‘Pushing Up Daisies’ is an excellent compilation of two Kevin Welch songs.

‘What She’s Doing Now’ and ‘The Song Remembers When’ are also good songs about times past.

8. Ray Price’s voice is one that I know I should like, but I’ve never been able to. Love the song though.

9. Kathy Mattea, “Lonesome Standard Time”! Because “a cryin’ fiddle is the sweetest sound on earth.”

10. …ronnie milsap’s – “daydreams about night things”

11. stephanieNo Gravatar // June 4, 2011 at 4:58 pm //

TIME–Alan Parsons Project
    LONG LONG TIME–Linda Ronstadt
    WASTED TIME–The Eagles
    TIME PASSAGES–Al Stewart

14. Sara Evans – Time Won’t Tell

15. “We Were In Love” – Toby Keith

16. Kathy Mattea, “Time Passes By”

17. Hoggy from OzNo Gravatar // June 4, 2011 at 8:58 pm //

“The Time Warp” from the The Rocky Horror Show. If you’re watching that movie you clearly have too much time on your hands.

18. travis in vaNo Gravatar // June 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm //

I too am going with “lonesome standard time ” and “time after time”!

19. Fear of Wasted Time – Court Yard Hounds – Love this song.

It’s my Time – Martina McBride

Wayside (Back in Time) – Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings

20. “After All This Time” Rodney Crowell

21. Better in Time by Leona Lewis.

22. I was going to say Tracy Lawrence’s “Time Marches On”, but I like Kevin’s pick “Pushin’ Up Daisies” as well.

23. Also, Long, Long, Long by The Beatles.

24. By The Time I Get to Phenix -Glen Campbell

25. Trace Adkins’ “Between The Rainbows and the Rain”. I love songs that reflect realistically on years gone by, and how things have turned out. This one’s a beauty that no one’s ever heard of or listens to.

I’m also partial to “You And Me And Time” George and Georgette Jones, although I liked it better before I realized it was a father/daughter song and not a love song.

26. Oh, and Garth’s “Every Now And Then”.

27. “Spend My Time” – Clint Black

28. Clint Black – No Time to Kill

29. Cat’s in the Cradle.

Something a little more personal…Bad Timing by Blue Rodeo.

Comments are closed.