Wade Hayes Six Pack

August 18, 2009

Wade HayesHe could’ve been – heck, still could be – one of the genre’s great traditional vocalists. The depth of his baritone was matched by its nuance, making Josh Turner sound like an amateur in comparison. Here’s hoping he’ll resurface sometime soon, since he could blow most of today’s young guys out of the water.

“Old Enough to Know Better”
from the 1995 album Old Enough to Know Better

A twenty-something anthem that exudes youthful energy.

“I’m Still Dancin’ With You”
from the 1995 album Old Enough to Know Better

It doesn’t have quite the elegance of “In Between Dances”, but his spin on dance floor loneliness is still effective.

“Don’t Stop”
from the 1995 album Old Enough to Know Better

This is the blueprint for all those country romance numbers that Dierks Bentley and Billy Currington are known for today.

“What I Meant To Say”
from the 1995 album Old Enough to Know Better

Hindsight’s 20/20 as Hayes looks back alone.

“The Room”
from the 1996 album On a Good Night

The single biggest mistake that Sony made with Hayes was releasing “Where Do I Go to Start All Over” instead of “The Room” as the second single off of his sophomore album.  This song practically completes the trilogy begun by George Jones with “The Grand Tour” and “The Door.”

“The Day That She Left Tulsa (In a Chevy)”
from the 1997 album When the Wrong One Loves You Right

Hayes’ last big hit was also his best, as he gropes with realizing that his lover has left him because she’s pregnant with someone else’s child. (“I guess she though the truth would end up driving me away. She was wrong, but I never got the chance to say.”

Category: Back to the Nineties, Six Pack
Tags: , , , ,

1. CMWNo Gravatar says:

He has a new album out. My Kind of Country reviewed it yesterday.

I bought the albums I didn’t already have of his (all but the debut) from Emusic today. I’ll listen to those and see if I’ll suck it up and buy the new one from his site, something I typically don’t like to do due to past processing issues with smaller sites.

3. James S.No Gravatar says:

Good idea for the lesser known artists. “What I Meant To Say” is my personal favorite that gets me feeling nostalgic whenever I hear it. “I’m Still Dancing With You” and “The Day She Left Tulsa” are also great songs. I haven’t heard the new album, yet, but I enjoy his 90′s ones.

Kevin, I agree he is much better than the current crop of young male artists. It’s a shame he fell off the map by the turn of the century.

4. Paul DennisNo Gravatar says:

Service from his website is superlative. I ordered it on a Saturday and received it in the following Tuesday’s mail

I would pick “Undo The Right” instead of “The Room” for my six pack

5. Matt. BNo Gravatar says:

He did an excellent job on “Wichita Lineman” that was somehow not a hit (I have the CD single in a storage shed in Nashville).

The thing I remember most about wade is that that first album cover seemed slightly weird to me as it looked like he had lipstick on or something. Still think that cover is terrible. Perhaps Trailer would do that one for a “Honest Album Cover” or somethin’.

6. James S.No Gravatar says:

I like “Undo The Right,” too. “Our Time Is Coming” and “Hurts Don’t It” are my other favorite non-singles from On A Good Night.

7. Tony CNo Gravatar says:

Never really cared for him save “The Day That She Left Tulsa”. “On A Good Night” was decent too, but too much of his material was just blah.

8. MichaelNo Gravatar says:

I’ll mention “How Do You Sleep At Night” since I haven’t seen that one noted yet and it is one of my favorites of his. Ty Herndon would be another good candidate for a six pack.

9. Helen NNo Gravatar says:

Wade’s newest album, “Place to Turn Around” is his best work yet. He wrote/co-wrote 9 of the 11 tracks and his guitar playing is featured, along with some of Nashville’s A-list studio musicians. It’ll have you laughing out loud and misty-eyed, too. That’s what country music is supposed to do.

10. Craig.RNo Gravatar says:

I think he has a great voice and I love his version of “Wicthia Lineman”.

11. DaveNo Gravatar says:

Hey dont forget she’s acting single
    1 of the best remakes ever done,I have all his cd’s Just ordered the new one today and there isnt anything blah on any of them
    And his version of you were you ae you’ll always
    be was our wedding song
    Hope you come to Wisconsin soon
    Thanx for all the great music Wade
    Sincerely Dave J

12. Lil DNo Gravatar says:

Picked up the new “Place to Turn Around.” One word – REFRESHING! Far cry from the “cookie-cutter” music out today. Pure traditionalism plus a few fun numbers. Definitely worth listening to!

13. CountryComfortNo Gravatar says:

I used to play “She Left Tulsa” over and over and wait for the video. Never did look into the rest of his music. He did a nice cover of “Wichita Lineman” that I heard on satellite radio one time. Didn’t know he’s still recording.

14. ErinNo Gravatar says:

Wade is a true gem in Nashville, the new record is his best yet! His live shows are awesome!!!!

15. DianeNo Gravatar says:

Wade has a great voice! I have always loved his music back to the “Kentucky Bluebird” days. His voice is distinct. Just like when you hear Reba on the radio, you know its Reba…you know it’s Martina, you know it’s Tim, and you know it’s Alan. There is no mistaking Wade’s voice. In my opinion, although I love country music today and there are a lot of great songs and musicians, I can’t tell one male performer from the next among the ‘newbies’. I love their songs, but I couldn’t tell ya who they are. I, too, believe Wade should be on the radio with the rest of ‘em and I’m hoping he makes it around to New England again soon! (haven’t seen him in 8-10 yrs!) lol

16. MarianNo Gravatar says:

Wade is the best of the best! New CD “Place To Turn Around” says it all!

17. SamanthaNo Gravatar says:

I love all of Wade’s music. His latest album is a must have. I love this album. This is his best one yet. There is not any bad songs on this album. FYI, You can get it at:

18. roseNo Gravatar says:

I have always considered Wade one of the best out there. I have followed country music all my life from the ol’ timers to the new and his voice beats most of them….He has such a wide range of songs and they are all great. His fast, upbeat ones makes anyone want to get up and dance, and his slow songs are just unbelievable. his voice is truly amazing

19. TishNo Gravatar says:

Wade can’t sing a song wrong. He is and always have been a great artist!

20. For me is “Place to Turn Around best” Wade’s album and last that he publish sofar.Otherwise, a slower song relaxes me, Wade interpretation can give your imagination run wild and relax the maximum.

21. Pirri PirriNo Gravatar says:

Nice post! Cant add more to that…

22. TroyNo Gravatar says:

Been followin’ Wade’s music right from the beginnin’. Can’t really pick a favorite, Love ‘em all! Bought Place To Turn Around soon as it was available. On it, She Loves Me Anyway I probly like the best but like ‘em all on it too!

23. dianeNo Gravatar says:

Love me some Wade Hayes! Followed him from the beginning. His music is classic and I like that. I have been through what alot of his songs say. You can’t sing those kind of songs the way he does, unless you have been there. He is so kind and appreciative of his fans. Love him!

24. Roger HayesNo Gravatar says:

I think Wade is Great.Of course he is my cousin but I still think he is great.lolThe thing people do not know is the whole Hayes clan plays music.We had a family reunion in Oklahoma in 1988 and 2500 of us showed up.Wade,s Dad had his system and band set up in which Wade played Guitar.They would play for a while,then another bunch would get up and pick and sing and this went on for 6 hrs.My Dad who passed away last yr,and his brother Played with Onie Wheeler around Sikeston Mo in the late 40,s and 50,s and had the chance to go to Nashville and play the opry but just did not believe they could make it .Of course Onie is on the recording great speckeled bird, Wabash Cannonball etc.Played in Nashville until he died.His Daughter Karen had one hit back in the 60,s and I don,t know what happened to her.Anyway, that is a little history of Wades roots.We are all very proud of him and we are rooting for him to have anothertop 10 hit.Go WADE

25. DavidNo Gravatar says:

My favorite song of Wade’s… that was not released was “Family Reunion”

This song reaches into the heart and soul of anyone that comes from a broken home… but longs for a unified family.

Wade’s vocals on this song are astonishing. Nice smooth baritone.

Go Wade… you’re the best man!

26. sandiNo Gravatar says:

I thought his lover was pregnant with his child but was married and never told him anything about it.That the lover was raising that child with her spouse as his, knowing it was wade’s.I thought she diasappeared pregnant never contacting wade again,never telling him anything about the child,therefore he never had the chance to know anything.I heard the lover had a daughter and was born january 14th I could be wrong,seems I read this somewhere.Anyway I Wish the Best for Wade,his Voice has always captured me.Anyone who thinks any of his work is blah needs hearing aids..He has the strongest male Voice I’ve ever heard

27. sandievansNo Gravatar says: